Luxury retirement living
The tranquil village of Monte da Palhagueira in the sun-dappled Portuguese hills has elevated luxury retirement living to new heights
A traditional development of beautiful villas, houses and apartments, Monte da Palhagueira offers luxury independent retirement living in a beautiful corner of southern Europe, with the added reassurance of qualified medical assistance on hand should it ever be required.
Echoing the charm and romance of the ancient village of Alte, the award-winning Monte da Palhagueira’s mellow Portuguese stone walls enclose traditional cobbled calcada streets framed with brilliant bougainvillea and fragrant almond blossom.
Sitting in the tranquil hills of Gorjões, near Faro in the Algarve, the village has been exclusively designed for the over-55s, with 33 properties in 22 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, an ornamental lake, fine dining restaurant, swimming pool and clubhouse, and the region’s only consecrated Anglican church.
Services and charges
The quarterly service charge of €2,600 + IVA (currently 6%) covers:
- Village management 5 days a week, office hours
- 24-hour access to qualified nurse (in our adjacent nursing home)
- twice weekly domestic help and white linen laundry service
- home maintenance
- provision and maintenance of an emergency aid call system
- buildings insurance
- external property and garden maintenance
- the servicing, maintenance and replacement if necessary of up to three nominated items of white goods (typically fridge freezer / washing machine/ oven), and up to two air conditioning units per property
- the upkeep of the village grounds and all communal facilities
The charge also covers the use of the swimming pool, tennis court and gardens, and discounted meals at the village restaurant.
Apart from this, the usual utility fees apply.
Extra care, if you need it
For your peace of mind there is also a small British-run nursing home on site, in the old quinta, providing exceptional 24-hour nursing care from an English speaking team.
Monte da Palhagueira is part of the Amesbury Abbey Group, which has three other luxury retirement properties in England.
This was the first retirement village to open in the Algarve and celebrates its 30th anniversary this year.
Since then, this sun-kissed region with its rugged natural beauty, azure waters, world class golf courses, and 3,000 hours of sunshine a year, has been consistently voted the best place to retire in the world.